Problem Homes Information Line – PHIL

Seal de trafico - casaThe Problem Home Information Line (PHIL) is available for complaints about any residence in Los Angeles County which is creating neighborhood problems. It doesn’t matter whether the home is a group home or some other residential use of property. We may be able to help. We know from our experience and through conversations with our neighbors that it’s often difficult to know where to turn when these problems arise. We can help in two ways. First, you’ll find a list of resources below. These are city and county government agencies with the responsibility to address a variety of housing-related community problems. This list will be expanded as part of the PHIL program. The second way to seek assistance is to call our resource line. PHIL volunteers are available to field complaints and assist you in seeking resolution. In some cases we can effect a solution by contacting the property owner or resident. At the very least we will be able to direct you to an appropriate official resource which should be able to address your compliant.

Types of problems addressed

We can assist with problems arising from the condition of a residence or the behavior of household members. We advise that complaints are best addressed on a neighbor-to-neighbor basis. However some problems may not be so easily resolved. The sorts of complaints we are accustomed to receiving include:
  • Poorly maintained property
  • Unsafe or unhealthy conditions including pests, debris, hazards
  • Overcrowding, excessive noise
  • Inappropriate, threatening or antisocial behavior
We ask that complaints be based on conditions which are persistent, and not solely related to single incidents. At the present time, we can only address complaints about residences in Los Angeles County. We will be adding other areas of Southern California in the future.

Complaint Investigation

PHIL project volunteers will discuss the problem with you, and obtain information sufficient to investigate the issue. Volunteers will visit the property to discuss the situation with the property owner or resident. We are often able to assist in resolving problems by counseling the homeowner. If the home is a group home affiliated with a quality assurance organization we can often achieve satisfactory results quickly. We have no power to enforce local ordinances, but we will report our findings, which may include advice about forwarding your complaint to an appropriate city or county authority. We will not divulge your identity to the property owner without your prior consent. This is how to reach the PHIL resource line: Phone: (888) 552-8673 Hours: 9 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday Calls will be returned during business hours, and otherwise during the following business day.

Local Government Resources

These agencies can help with problems in specific cities and unincorporated areas of your county. If you know of additional resources which should appear here, please call the help line. We will add other useful resources in the future. Los Angeles County 211 service phone: 2-1-1 from wired (land line) phones in Los Angeles County website Information about all County departments and how to register complaints [hr] Los Angeles County Department of Regional Planning phone: (213) 974-6453 website Zoning and residential issues in the unincorporated sections of Los Angeles County [hr] Los Angeles City 311 service phone: 2-1-1 from wired phones in the City, or (866) 4-LA-CITY from any area phone website Information about City resources, including how to make complaints [hr] City of Los Angeles Department of Building & Safety: Code Enforcement Division phone: (888) LA4-BUILD website Web page has a link to an online complaint form, and additional information. [hr] City of Long Beach Code Enforcement Division phone: (562) 570-CODE website